Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Trinidad here we come

Trinidad here we come! Arrived in Port of Spain Port. Again another commercial port, downtown. After a long wait for family friends to meet us, we finally arrived at my grandmother's house in the Petit Valley, Crystal Stream, Diego Martin.

It has been 14 years since I last visited this house, when my grandmother passed and the reason I revisited it this time was to clear up business after my mother tragically passed, which was last October. The house was built in the 1950's and my brother and I spent two years as children living in this very house with my grandmother. It was quite and emotional trip, but business has to be sorted. The house is old and in need of modernisation.

My boys had a bit of a culture shock, it was not like home nor Tobago. There was no air conditioning here and Trinidad is more humid than Tobago! The crickets sing very loudly every night and the windows are louvre type so did not offer much sound proofing! There was only cold running water and I think my 16 year old thought I was putting him through a torture chamber. The showering facilities are very antiquated! I guess the electrical connections were to heat the water via the element as it passes through. However, every time you took a shower, you had to be careful not to touch anything metal, otherwise you would get a small electric shock!

I don't think my 16 year old will return here too quickly!

The house is situated near a busy highway, which clearly will expand as the years go by. However, it is in a prime location.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: