Friday, April 20, 2007

Busy March........

Towards the end of February I was sent an email flyer, which asked for natural hair wearers to model for Adornment, an African Inspired Exhibition, to be held over 2 days during the Easter Bank Holiday.

Being an avid America's Next Top Model viewer, I took up the opportunity to strut my stuff on the catwalk.

I had to audition and really did not know what I was getting myself into!

I attended the audition and I nervously struttedmy stuff on a makeshift catwalk. I was told I would hear in due course. Well move over Miss Jay, I got through and was excited to see where this was heading.

Rehearsals were to be held approximately every Friday for a month, in Brixton! a 45 minute tube train journey from my side of London, but hey, models have to travel far and wide, I guess.

There were a lot of people at the rehearsals, more women than men, as always.

We were shown how to catwalk. Shoulders back, hips forward, right leg forward and ready to set off. Very uncomfortable posture, but apparently very necessary! So we set off, waddling like ducklings round and round the dance studio. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and pose, and pose and pose. Well arms flaying in every direction, legs giving way, some really un lady like poses!

Although people had volunteered to model, about 50% were extremely shy. We had to do our walk individually and some went so fast, you could barely see them move!

I must admit, I was probably in that 50% who were extremely shy. Was not sure how I was going to manage to model to a crowd over 2 days! However, I persevered and felt that I had now taken on this challenge and although I was way outside of my comfort zone, I was determined to see it through.

Surprisingly as the weeks went by, so the confidence of the models grew. Friendships were being carved out and a small village was being created. So many different people, so many different personalities.

Locks were everywhere. However, I was the only sisterlocked sister in the house, until, I spotted her a newbie! 3 day old sisterlocks! It took me back to the time when my locks were first installed. She had so many questions and I felt privileged to answer them.

Sorry, no photos of the rehearsals, as it is difficult to get them when you are supposed to be walking and posing!

No comments: