Thursday, January 11, 2007

November 2006.........Lock Anniversary!

The 4th and 5th of November was my 2 year lock anniversary. I did not celebrate this as I actually forgot on those days and I was also busy getting ready to fly to Miami, Florida to take the Sisterlocks Consultant Training. This was going to be an adventure!

I was travelling alone and staying alone in a "strange" country! It felt so empowering, that I was to do this for the first time in my life.

I was very excited and was looking forward to my journey. I planned and planned and planned. Found accommodation and was excited at meeting these wonderful sisterlocked sisters!

I left on Friday 10th November from Heathrow Aiport, London. I flew with Virgin Atlantic and I can really recommend them. The service was very good. I opted for a window seat and made myself comfortable. I introduced myself to my elderly neighbours and proceeded to fall asleep for most of the 9 hour 50 minute journey, which was delayed by about 30 mins.

On arrival in Miami, it struck me how flat it was. Nonetheless, I had arrived. I felt like kissing the ground, much in the same way the Pope does! Empowering! Once I had cleared customs and being made to feel like a criminal, I was well on my way. Oh, criminal, bwoy don't they grill you when you arrive in the states. "Where are you staying, Maaam", how long is your vacation, maaam! Eyeball photographs and fingerprints to boot!

After finding my baggage and way out, I jumped into a taxi and arrived at my motel, which was about 5 mins drive from the Marriott Miami, where the training was taking place.

I showed, got myself something to eat from Denny's, actually ate by myself, another achievement in my books!

The next morning, left at 8 am for 8.30 am start. Taxi to the Marriott. Found the room, then waited and waited and waited. Unfortunately, the sisterlocks trainers where running behind schedule and as two training sessions where taking place, most other delegated had gone to the other training room. So I sat there wondering why I was in Miami, so far from home and alone!

Then it all kicked off. There were 22 of us ladies on the training. About 5 who were not locked.

The day was long, the room was cold. I quite forgot that I was in a hot country! The A/C just was not getting it right.

One thing that did surprise me is that no lunch was provided. All that was provided on the first day was Starbucks coffee. If you did not drink coffee then tuff luck.

The training finished at 5.30 pm for the 4 days. The same friend whom I re-tightened in October, travelled to undertake the course. She travelled to Grenada, WI the week before and then met me in Miami. She was staying with family, so although we spent the days together, I found the evening a little lonely.

1 comment:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Didn't know you came to Miami its my Hometown, I probaly could've been of some assistance but it seems like you handled your self well! I hope you enjoyed your stay here!